Crossbite can occur in the front and/or the sides of the mouth. One or more upper teeth bite on the inside of the lower teeth. This can occur with a single tooth or multiple teeth. Early correction of crossbite is recommended.
Crossbite should be corrected because it can:
- Cause premature wear of the teeth
- Cause gum disease including bone loss
- Cause asymmetrical development of the jaws
- Cause dysfunctional chewing patterns
- Make your smile less attractive
If there is a single tooth crossbite, the tooth can be moved with braces into the correct position. In some cases, a retainer can be utilized. With multiple teeth in crossbite, the arch needs to be expanded with braces or other intra-oral appliances.